Header

jasmines facebook jasmines youtube jasmines blog jasmines twitter image map

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Therapy Dog once again!



Now I remember why I LOVE to volunteer as a therapy dog team.  


Prior to tonight, I haven't volunteered in months.  At first it was because life was so hectic, I hadn't finished the renewal process.  And then once Jasmine got recertified, I was so busy with our travels that I just hadn't had time!  


March/April was our participating on the Animal Planet show "Who Let The Dogs Out'.  (Which was a ton of fun!)  This ended with performing live at Universal Studios for the finale.


The month of  May was our trip to New York to be on Good Morning America.  (in addtion to local news stations.)  And last but not least, we just got home from a wonderful trip to Utah where we were speaking at the BlogPaws conference.  


So, we really have been really busy.  But I've missed it.  So tonight we went.  And as usual, there was just something special about it.  The most memorable was a 2 1/2 year old girl named Bella. (I make my rounds on the pediatic/oncology floors.)  As I was going from room to room, I could hear a little kid crying very loudly.  The nurses take them to a separate room to do blood draws, treatment, etc.  She was having a rough time.  By the time she came out of the room, she was screaming.  


Her mom was holding her, and they were going across the hall to go pick out a new toy.    It was very drastic.  She went from crying very loudly to suddenly quiet.  It was when she saw Jasmine.  I was pushing her on her cart down the hall.  The little girl just stared at us.  As I came closer, I asked "Do you like doggies?"  


The mom said yes, they had a dog at home.  Bella pet Jasmine, and watched enchanted as we did our little trick show routine.  And she laughed.  Because we were in the hall, more people gathered around to watch Jaz.  One 4 year old was imitating the tricks I was asking Jasmine to do.  It was quite amusing.  Everyone was smiling or chuckling.  By the end, Bella had completely forget about her previous experience.  The entire situation was turned around.  All because of one little furry dog.  What a difference a dog can make.  


That's why I like to volunteer with Jasmine.  It reminds me of the Emily Dickinson poem,
 "I Shall Not Live In Vain".  

"If I can stop one Heart from breaking
I shall not live in vain
If I can ease one Life the Aching
Or cool one Pain
Or help one fainting Robin
Unto his Nest again
I shall not live in Vain."

4 comments:

  1. Did you know peeps have cockles in their hearts? I don't even know what they are or what they are doing in hearts, but mom said that story warmed hers.
    brandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate to your story Jazzy. Every Monday morning I do pet therapy with puppies from my local humane society. I have been doing this for almost 15 years. One of many memorable monments...regular visit to a nursing home. As I made my rounds, I saw a new resident in a room. I knocked and asked may we come in? There sitting by a lady in the bed was her husband...please, come in. I introduced myself and proceeded to lay the puppy in the bed with the lady and placed her fraile hand on the pup. Within seconds she began gently stroking the pups..other than that, no other response. She did not even have her eyes open. I sat down with the husband and began a light conversation. After about 2 or 3 minutes we notiiced the little lady open her eyes and began oh so soflty whispering puppy, sweet puppy..over and over. The gentleman rose from his seat and left the room, I followed. He was standing in the hall with tears rolling down his face like flood waters. Not knowing exactly why he was upset , other than the obvious, I put my arm around a very emotional senoir. I asked should me and pup be on our way and was there anything I could do for him? He slowly raised his head that had become bowed from tears and emotions, dear girl, you have no idea how you have already helped me and my wife. The words she spoke, puppy, sweet puppy were the first words she has even attempted to say since her stroke 2 weeks ago. The doctor said she might never speak again. I will eternally be grateful to you for helping her to speak again. With tears rolling down my face I told him, Sir, don't thank me, thank the puppy. I was just a vehicle. The pup has the healing spirit that your wife could feel and accept. have many heartwarming stories from over the years, but this one is one that will stay with me forever. Makes me want to get up on Mondays and head to shelter to pick out the perfect pup.
    Later my little friend...Jan Todd

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is such a great story about jasmine. Just makes it all worth while. The story right above was very touching also. Its amazing what animals can do.

    Wags
    Jazzi

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so sweet, Jasmine! You are a special dog!

    ReplyDelete